Monday, September 30, 2013

Last Day of Sept...

Our first FULL month of school is behind us! WHAT??? Where did it go?

REMINDERS
6.00 CASH/ person going to the Pumpkin Patch! Due tomorrow.
District Permission Slip EVEN if you already sent in your money!


This morning we started a lesson on predicting? What is predicting. Using "clues" to help you make a GUESS about something.  When we predict we should say, "I think", "I bet" or even "I predict".
So today we looked at some parts of pictures and had to PREDICT what we thought it was and justify our answer!  The littles did an amazing job...I put 1/2 of them into small groups today. They were the groups that got to share and  help write out predictions.  The rest of us were predicting and justifying in our head. Here is our lesson in a nutshell.



One group said they thought it was a cat because of the ear.
One group said a cat because they saw the head.
Once group said a cat because of the whiskers and fur.


First group thought it was a bird because it was a wing.
The next group thought it was and Eagle. We talked about what kind of animal an eagle was and they agreed it was a bird.  I loved that their schema was a bit more detailed.
The last group thought it was an owl because of the wing and the eye.


Group one, "We think it is a squirrel because of the big cheeks."
Group two, "We think it is a squirrel because of the cheeks and teeth."
Group three, "We think it is a squirrel because of the face and the acorn." I hadn't even noticed that the tail did look a bit like the top of an acorn! I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

After looking at the portion of the picture we did some shared writing. One person from one of the groups came up and as we stretched out the word they recorded the sounds they heard!  I am SO SO SO proud of my littles.  We do this to show that this is how they can start to write sounds they hear in words.  Are they spelled correctly? NOPE! Can THEY read them! YEP!!! And being able to read your writing is VERY important!


I was here but I KNOW I could figure these words out pretty easily! WAY TO GO LITTLE BUCKAROOS!
Were our predictions 100% correct? NOPE but did we justify them correctly YEP!

Buckaroo of the Week



I love that this little was just going along telling us about all of her pictures and all of a sudden she looked at me and said, "Hey, I see like!"  You know how everyone says they see that light bulb...well this was one of those times! She was connecting and "reading"! I never get tired of those moments!

Math
We introduced a new anchor chart.  We will be exploring numbers 1-20 throughout the year. This is one way we can see what the number IS...
 Cale showed the number two on a tens frame.
 Addie wrote her numbers.
C.J. showed us what two looked like in tallies.
And Janiya was able to identify and circle the number two!

We acted out a couple of problems today as well. Bella found 5 markers in her toybox.  She noticed that 3 of them had dried out and needed to be thrown away. How many did she have left?
Julius went to the library and checked out two books and one magazine. How many things did Julius check out?
These problems allow us to add and subtract within 5.  We enjoy getting to ACT the problems out. Tomorrow we will figure them out using a different strategy.

Science
We started talking about properties today.  We had a feely bag. Everyone got 5 seconds to feel inside. Then we drew our predictions...

 I predict it is a hippo.
 I predict it is a pumpkin.
I predict it is a sculpture.
These were based SOLELY on our sense of feel and our schema.  Some thought it was an apple...I didn't get a picture of those.
When I reveled the object (a small orange hard and bumpy pumpkin) the kids drew that in the circle.  Then we took turns describing the pumpkin using our sense of sight AND what we felt!

LOVE LOVE LOVE my LITTLES! Great day...

No comments: