Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Wow Wednesday...

"I'm on green today...I'm getting good at this!"  I LOVE it...These kiddos are getting GOOD at this! I am so happy coming to school and getting to be with this bunch EVERY day!  Our mornings get more A-MAZ-ING every single day!  We start to get a little squirrelly right after specials...but HEY that's NOT bad!

So...I must say today has very few pictures. We are starting to get into our routine and everyone knows what to do and they do it...So I have been able to pull little ones to the back table to get some assessments done.  

Language Arts:

Today we started with Reader's Workshop.  We talked about all of the things we need to be able to read. (and another apology...these anchor charts on the white board! I need to get them transferred to paper and add some color!)

I love their list: newspapers, books, signs, email/facebook, play books, rules, names of places, video games, T-Shirts and jerseys, emergency vehicles, mail, phones/texts.  

We then went to our reading spots and did some "in our head"  reading and switched out some books.  We were reminded that there are three ways to read a book.
  1. Look at the pictures
  2. Retell the story
  3. Read the words
So many of my friends shared all of the sight words they are "reading" in their books! I LOVE IT!!!
We then did some workstations: Word Work, Listening, Poetry, and Reading.  Next week we are going to add in Writing and Computers! And that's it!!!

ANNNNNNDDD it was time for Recess/Lunch! 

When we returned we started Handwriting Without Tears!  Our First letter was F! We started out at Starfall click here listening to the sound "f" makes.  Then we looked in our handwriting books...We found out that this letter is a frog jump letter.  (Meaning we need to pick up our pencil to make it.) We traced the steps with our finger before trying to make it on our own.  As your kids write at home...please remind them to always start at the TOP of the letter!  

That was our introduction to Writer's Workshop!

Today we talked about adding bodies to our people.  (DETAILS, DETAILS, DETAILS) 
We looked at an "M&M" person!! (a head with arms and legs coming out of it)  We all laughed..."our arms don't come out of our HEAD and our LEGS don't either!!!" So, today when I sent them back to write on their own I told them I wanted to see characters with BODIES...I loved how most of my littles went to some of the pictures they had thought were FINISHED and added bodies to their people! And WHAT a DIFFERENCE it made.  Tomorrow we will talk about some other details we can add to our characters. And yes, I use that word all the time with the kids and today one called me over.  She said, "Miss Guy, I haven't added any characters yet.  I just have the background!" What a great use of writing vocabulary. (and guess what...next week she will be telling me she is just working on the SETTING!"

After working on our pieces we got with our writing "buddy". We will be working more on this...but today I just wanted them to share with their buddy. Our buddy is going to be someone that encourages us, maybe even helps work through some of our writing struggles! 





Sorry for the sideway video!! These two were great examples!  I can hear and see the pride they take in their work!

Math Workshop:
Today we worked on seeing that sets can have the same number but not look exactly the same. Your student should have brought home their worksheet in their folder today!  Have them explain it to you! Ask them what they see!
Example:
Our five frames:
I see 5 and 5 and 2
I see 7 and 5
I see 10 and 2
Then we counted the dots in all three of those ways and GUESS what...there were 12 each time!

We continue to practice counting to 20 and love to sing along with our ipod.  Abby is doing such a great job keeping us on track!

This afternoon we started getting ready for our first computer assessment. Istation. This is a literacy based assessment. It will work on phonemic and phonological awareness skills.  Because it is going to be new to the kinders...I am going to go through the demo so they know what to expect on Friday!  We will be assessed each month.  The other times we get on we will "play" games that support our needs!

THANK YOU
To everyone that signed up for conferences.  If you haven't yet please see the link at the top of the sidebar!  We are using sign up genius!
SCHOLASTIC BOOK ORDERS
Tomorrow will be the last day! I will place the order after school! You may go HERE to order.  Our class code is H8NJX
PTA
I hope EVERYONE has joined the PTA. Our PTA works very hard for all the children at Robertson.  They bring great resources to our campus, they are able to get technology for our classrooms and so much more!!! Room 313 NEED 100%!
SPIRIT WEAR
You can order t-shirts and sweatshirts from the PTA as well (you do NOT need to be a member to do this) Each FRIDAY is SCHOOL SPIRIT DAY...we all wear our Robertson Shirts! (I'm in love with the little girl, in first, that has added RUFFLES to the bottom of her "BIG" shirt and now it's a DRESS!!!)
SUBSTITUTE
I will be out for a few days next week! Just giving you all a heads up that there will be a substitute in our classroom! I will miss my little Buckaroos!

Have a wonderful evening.


No comments: